Good Start... Could add the following....

Jan 12, 2014 at 6:36 AM
So I got your code running... I think it is off to a great start so far. I especially like the architecture.

I wish it was all one project though rather than 4 or 5 the way it is now. I think it would be great if you added a floor plan next for the tables.

I would love to help out and maybe create a WPF clients to go along with it as well as I am sure many people would want to just run that full screen and hide away the desktop.

Is there support for printers?
Developer
Jan 15, 2014 at 5:00 AM
Thanks for the comments! I'm glad that you like the initial release. Much more will be coming soon...

It's true that one big project can, in many ways, be easier to manage than several smaller projects. My primary reason for splitting these off into separate smaller projects is that it makes troubleshooting easier when running multiple projects out of separate IDEs simultaneously. I tend to do that quite a bit when debugging. It also makes it easier for anyone to take a smaller piece of the project away in order to support whatever project they happen to be working on. But I agree, it creates the problem of having to follow more than one project. My suggestion would be to follow one project, whichever one you happen to be most interested in, and stick with that. I'm linking all of these together as "related" so it should be fairly easy to navigate through the various projects. If you're going to choose one project to follow, I'd suggest following the "OpenRPOS Metro" project, which I just released today. I've been testing this out mostly on my Surface and it's working great! This is going to be the centerpiece of the suite of applications, so it will be the one to follow, whereas this Silverlight version of OpenRPOS was intended to be used primarily as a proof-of-concept and demo, but it will likely live on as a training tool. I've been trying to keep it in-sync with the Metro version. It has very similar functionality but definitely a different look. The Metro UI is intended to behave like a tablet app that runs in full screen, and it works great in that sense. The other advantage that this architecture brings with it is that it was designed from the ground up to be a cloud based solution. So the server is running in the Microsoft Azure cloud. The results so far have been outstanding, and I'm really happy with the performance of all of this technology.

But I digress...

Speaking of multiple projects, I have a few more planned releases over the next couple of months. You mentioned printer support and that is in the pipeline. I'll be releasing a print manager application soon, which will be responsible for handling the printing of receipts. The other planned projects are a report monitor, which is needed to work in conjunction with the BackOffice, and a kitchen terminal project.

Adding a floor plan is a great idea and will be added to the features "To Do" list. My more immediate issues that I want to address include splitting checks, discounts, and handling payments (cash and credit), as well as the printing function.

I'm interested in hearing more about your thoughts on other potential projects. The web service is essentially the OpenRPOS API. It's not very well documented at this point (on the "To Do" list...), but I do think that it's somewhat intuitive and I'd be glad to explain its usage if you'd like. The full-screen POS I think will be handled by the Metro version. I'm not sure what Microsoft's strategy will be moving forward, so I thought it would be a safer bet to build a Windows 8 full-screen UI, especially when considering tablets, but I could also see a WPF version being useful as well. One area where I'd really like to see improvement with is the backoffice. As it stands now, I have no intention of creating something different from scratch since the Silverlight version is very functional. But there are parts of it I think that could be designed better, like the menu items screen which is just way too busy. I'd love to get a designer's view of how that could be improved. Since I'm a programmer at my core, design doesn't come easy for me. But I have learned a thing or two over time. My goal is usually to get something working first, then try to pretty it up afterwards. But I do try to be mindful of the overall look of an application while it's under development.

Anyway, thanks again for the positive feedback! I'm looking forward to hearing more from you in the future!

Take care,
Ken